Sunday, November 30, 2008

Best Rapidshare downloader

I was trying out various Rapidshare downloaders to find the best one.

Total and absolute failures

RapidShare Unlimited File Downloader 1.0.0.1
Rating 1.5 of 5 in download.com is way enough to label this crap and skip downloading. Well, what can you expect from a trojan...

RapGet v.1.41
Doesn't work and doesn't give a damn! How stupid is it to count errors, yet not tell what the errors are? Works with megaupload, sure, but not rapidshare. Shouldn't the name imply the opposite?

RapidShare Downloader.NET v2009 Preview
My love for unhandled exceptions is but an epic fail.

Raptor 1.1b
There is only one negative aspect to this app - it doesn't work! After downloading few-KB html files and renaming them as the expected result, Raptor feasts in belief of a work well done.

Rapidshare Plus
Is hanging up a feature now? When not hanging up, it simulates Raptor in it's entirety.

RapidLeecher 5.1
I've had nightmares better than this application... And, no, it doesn't work.

RapiDown
People tell it's a trial, spyware, and cannot be uninstallable. Do I want to install? Some other day.

Rapget.RS v0.9.7.1
Doesn't work. Has status "ready" for hours, never progressing. And, yes, I did press the "Download" button.

Working applications

RapidShare letolto 2.4
OMG, the interface, the horror... It really looks functionally good, but the interface is ass. First, the default language is gibberish (of course), so you have to be a real magician to find out where to change it to english. Too bad whenever you really need english, the text is left untranslated!

CryptLoad v1.1.5
Nevermind the fact that it takes forever to load and eats 70MB of RAM when idle, this one actually works. It's simple enough, and I couldn't find major faults. It dislikes spaces in file names. But it's auto-updating, so whenever RapidShare changes, this program will make sure to update itself (much unlike other crap). The link collecting feature is also nice. On the bad side - why doesn't it allow leaving files in list after downloading? I mean - this app is still crap, but it works.

JDownloader 0.3668
It took me ages to find this app's homepage! You thought writing "rapidshare jdownloader" in Google should show the homepage as the first result? Nope. And after I went through the trouble(!) of downloading the latest version, I find out that... it's quite good. It has auto-updating, link collecting, nice interface and doesn't remove files from list after downloading. Man I must be testing too much crap, if I call this one good...

P.S. It appeared to me that all(?) of the apps used the URL to identify the service. Whenever a link changing service is used (such as linkto.net), these applications fail miserably!


Summary: If your computer is not aging, get JDownloader (my favorite) or CryptLoad. Otherwise, you can try "RapidShare letolto". Everything else is even worse!

This post continues: Using Google to search quality

8 comments:

  1. hi thanks for sharing that info..i've been trying for a long time to look for ones that actualy work

    ReplyDelete
  2. paldies Tev! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are hilarious!!! I enjoyed the sardonic commentary on the crap apps. Thanks for the tips. I share your frustration as I previously attempted to d/l each of these apps and began to think they were all crap or worse, trojans...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Letöltő: Hungarian word for downloader
    You don't speak Hungarian? Well...nobody's perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The RapidShare letolto's default language is hungarian, not gibberish..:))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you tried USDownloader http://www.dimonius.ru/

    or

    http://66.163.168.225/babelfish/translate_url_content?.intl=us&lp=ru_en&trurl=http%3a%2f%2fwww.dimonius.ru%2fdusd.php

    let me know your feedback after testing it @ razaknk@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. JDownloader worked for me the first time I installed it, and I noticed 2 icons in the Sys Tray- JD and Java had appeared, but next time I switched on my PC and clicked on the JDownloader.JAR, and added some links to download, the Start button goes from green to red but no dl occurs. The Java icon is no longer in the Sys Tray. Is that the cause of the problem ? If so, how do I get the Java icon back ?

    ReplyDelete
  8. You forgot which to state which platforms are viable.

    ReplyDelete

You should do it!